I heart taco salads

I heart taco salads. They remind me of my college years. The cafeteria had killer taco salads. I was Student Body President and my office was right next door to the cafeteria (convenient, eh?) The word would get out it was taco salad day and we'd all hightail it over for one. Here is the way I eat them now minus the rice and almost 400 calorie deep fried tortilla trough err I mean shell.

This is an especially good meal for families as it's super economical and kid-friendly.


Shelly's Shell-less Taco Salad

Salad Greens
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onion, diced
3 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 pound Ground Beef (or Turkey)
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo (in the refrigerated section near fresh salsa)
1 (15 oz. can) Red Kidney Beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1/2 teaspoon Seasoning Salt
1/2 teaspoon Southwest Seasoning
Olive Oil for sauteing

Optional toppings:
Shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
Sour Cream or Fage Greek Yogurt
Hot Sauce (I use Cholula)
Avocado
Black Olives
Cilantro
Salsa

Wash and spin greens dry. Set aside. Saute onions till golden. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add beef and brown. Add remaining ingredients.

Cook till warmed through about 5 minutes. Serve on salad greens with any of the optional toppings. Makes plenty for 4 salads but if you don't use all the meat mixture GOOD 'cause I have a GREAT use for the leftovers I will post manana. Super yummy!


Highlights of the Day:

* Got paid a little more than I thought I would for a job I did last week. Woot. So I'm going to treat myself to a haircut and pedicure this week sometime. Gotta have pink girly girl toes. I figure I'll add the rest to my Bux card. I get to work from Bux most days because of their free wifi. My addiction: Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Lattes with no whipped cream and no foam. Can't give up all my vices.

* Speaking of addictions. Here's another... I am currently obsessing on these. I mix a little of the 2 flavors. Yum. Here's an online source if you can't find the little suckers in your area. A few satisfies my crunch fix. I keep a little snack size baggie in my purse.

* Right now. Full from a breakfast cooking experiment. Soooo good. I will post later this week. Smelling my coffee perking. Mmmm. Listening to tunes. IMing with my pal Sarah. We are two single girls so we can commiserate. I have a ton of crap to do today though so I better get my ass in gear. In the words of the Duckman... "I'm off like a dirty shirt."

Listening to: "Crossroads" Bone Thugs and Harmony